THE NATIONAL STATE POLICE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE TROOPER'S HOUSE DEDICATED TO THE STATE POLICE & HIGHWAY PATROL, ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT ARE WELCOME

HomeHome  Home pageHome page  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
THREAT ADVISORY
Powered by CopsPlus.com
Latest topics
» I need some state police/highway patrol patches...
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm by NBW791

» Retirement!
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 6:04 pm by QuarterMaster

» Hiring officers!
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 6:01 pm by QuarterMaster

»  State Police agencies are suffering
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:57 pm by QuarterMaster

» Two people arrested over Canterbury bomb hoaxes
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm by QuarterMaster

» Man held in inquiry into payments to police
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:59 am by Mr007

» Mottingham crash: Family hurt on A20 Sidcup Road
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 am by Mr007

» Plas Madoc Communities First boss 'abused trust'
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 3:03 am by Mr007

» Powys 'super dairy' is set for approval
Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 am by Mr007

5.11 Tactical Gear
Free 5.11 Tactical Gear at CHIEF
UNDER ARMOUR
FREE Ground Shipping on $50+ Under Armour Orders
LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
CHIEF
CHIEF - More Responsive, Period
Ron's vote
Ron's Top Law Enforcement Sites List
DINNTROPHY
Buy Fire Police & EMT Awards at Dinntrophy.com!
CRIMINAL JUSTICE CAREER
Criminal Justice Jobs Central - 100+ Jobs Daily
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
POLICEWORLD.NET
POLICE WORLD LINK
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Front Sight Fire Arms Training
Front Sight Fire Arms Training
COPSEEK
Rate Us

Tinting cars vs SUV

Go down 
+2
TallTacoma
pullthemover
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pullthemover
Posting Rank:Corporal
pullthemover

Tinting cars vs SUV Empty
PostSubject: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 6:38 pm

I notice that alot of Suvs come with tinting that very dark and looks dark then the legal percent.

If you get the same percent on you car windows it's consider to be illegal, what up with that?

I think all tinting should be the same percent and light enough where Troopers and Law enforcement can see into the vehicle if you are concealing.
Back to top Go down
TallTacoma
Posting Rank:Trooper
TallTacoma

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 6:48 pm

In Nevada, the windshield cannot be tinted, except for a 6 inch strip, top or bottom, and the front driver/pass. windows cannot exceed 35%. All other windows can be as dark as the owner wants.

Personally, if I can't see in the vehicle, due to dark or chrome tint, I order all windows to be rolled down before I expose any portion of my body.
Back to top Go down
AirportRanger
Posting Rank:Trooper Applicant

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm

As long as the tint comes from the manufacture it is legal. Any aftermarket tint that is greater than 35% would be illegal in MD.

In all actuality, most cars come with a very light tint on the windows. When you get the 35% tint on the windows it is really somewhere around 30-34% so it makes that illegal also.

I am thinking that the only time that I would pull someone over is if the tint is on the windshield. Thats just crazy to me.
Back to top Go down
NBW791
Posting Rank:Trooper Candidate

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm

As AirportRanger said, it's actually the sunscreening device that is illegal, which is defined as any material applied to the windows to reduce the effects of the sun or heat. Therefore, actual tinted glass (e.g. - Lexus SUVs with reflective tint) is NOT illegal.

Our state law says it can't be less than 35% light transmission on any of the windows and it can't be below the AS1 line on the windshield. It also can't be red, yellow or reflective.

A normal piece of glass is about 90% light transmission. A typical vehicle window is about 72 to75% light transmission (my Crown Vic was about that, my Charger is about that and my personal vehicles are about).

I've stopped TONS of people for illegal window tint. It's a great stop because it often leads to other things but it does piss people off. People pay good money to get their windows tinted professionally. The nice tint jobs, where they are smooth, clean and go all the way to the edge of the window run about $200 to $300.

These tint shops tell their customers it's 35%, but they're just out to make money like the next guy so you really can't trust them. I give people leeway down to 20%. Less than 20% they get a ticket (unless they're not wearing their seatbelt, then they get a ticket no matter what).

My tint meter (LaserLabs brand) is accurate to +/- 2%. I have two pieces of glass to check it that are known percentages. It's always right on the money or maybe 1% off depending on the heat/cold, but that means I CAN write at 33% if I really wanted to, but typically won't. I also check it before and after each use so I know it's working properly. I've yet to go to court on a tint ticket either. I encourage you guys to get tint meters. They're $99 from LaserLabs, or $89 if you buy 3 or more. I think it's a great enforcement tool.
Back to top Go down
statecruisen
Posting Rank:Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 am

I once had tint installed on my car and had to have it remove, because I ask the installer for a legal grade of tint and he installed an illegal grade. So I went back to the installer and got my money back. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
OSHP

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Ohio law allows window tint on the front driver and passenger windows as long as it is not less than 50% light transmission. The rear windows can be darker than 50% as long as they have oustside mirrors. The windshield can have tint as long as it does not go below the as-1 line. Also, no mirrored, red or yellow tint is allowed anywhere. There is no law against factory tint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinting cars vs SUV   Tinting cars vs SUV Empty

Back to top Go down

Tinting cars vs SUV
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE NATIONAL STATE POLICE :: PUBLIC SAFETY :: ASK A TROOPER-
Jump to: